This week’s highlights: The Rock, China’s Economy, and Desalination
Original Content this week:
- For Wealth Management to be Worthwhile, It Must Include More Than Money– Instead of being philosophical, the meaning of wealth is the most pragmatic discussion to have with your financial advisor
Food for Thought
- VanityFair – Dwayne Johnson Lets Down His Guard. Johnson’s friend Oprah Winfrey detects something distinctive at work here. “Most people have the ‘Do you see me?’ gene,” she says, “but he truly has the ‘I see you’ gene. And I think the reason why he’s adored is because he is adoring of other people…. He really is what he appears to be. And people know that.”
- NewYorker – Can MasterClass Teach You Everything? Studies suggest that it takes at least a decade to achieve real expertise. The company promises transformation in a few hours.
- SLC – On Medici and Thiel. – Scaling genius grants and a modern day patronage system
- GGM – Ten Ways to Make Your Time Matter. Accepting our mortality helps us let go of busyness and focus on what’s most important to us in order to live a happier, more meaningful life.
- AD – Now You Can Climb Outside a Skyscraper to the Top of New York City
- NYMag – ‘The Problem Is Him’ Kara Swisher on Mark Zuckerberg’s crisis and ours.
- Sequoia – The Sequoia Fund: Patient Capital for Building Enduring Companies – Sequoia looks to evolve the VC model further
- INET – China’s “Leveraged Prosperity” Model is Doomed. And That’s Not the Worst.
- II – The Great Retail Reset. On London’s crumbling high streets, two massive real-
- estate investors are banking on opposing strategies.
- WSJ – The Elizabeth Holmes Trial: Investor Describes Being Wooed by Theranos *paywall* Yet another reminder of the importance of actually doing due diligence…
Culture / Arts/ Tech / Science
- WashPo – Formula One racing is gaining traction in the United States, and an emerging fan base is along for the ride. see also – How The Us Gp Became F1’S Biggest Ever Race With Record-Breaking Attendance
- GNN – Solar-Powered Desalination Device Will Turn Sea Water Into Fresh Water For 400,000 People
- GQ – Actually, Quantum of Solace Might Be the Best Daniel Craig James Bond Movie
- NYPost – Americans are more generous than Europeans — by a large margin
Last Week’s Most Popular
- Vox – The problem with America’s semi-rich. America’s upper-middle class works more, optimizes their kids, and is miserable.
- WashPo – Chronic pain is surprisingly treatable — when patients focus on the brain. This is fascinating
- CG – The Good Life, According to Data – For the third week running…
When Anything is Possible – Wealth and the Art of Strategic Living
The book is about how we shift from focusing on the things we want to avoid, to the things we want to accomplish with our wealth. Doing so requires a person to articulate 3 key items – Wealth Structure, Wealth Identity and ultimately a Wealth Strategy. The book walks through each of these items in great depth, and guides the reader through a process to develop each.
If you are interested in learning more, visit here and download a free chapter.