Here at Family Capital Strategy, we have learned in working with families, that for a strategy to be successful, it must be aligned on the key dimensions of individual, family, and the ‘business.’ While we have spotlighted our favorite books in the past, there are a number of important articles to highlight that focus on these three key dimensions.
So without further ado, here are our favorites. Each of these is well worth your time and consideration.
Articles for Individuals in Family Office
- Gospel of Wealth by Andrew Carnegie
- Creating a Moral Biography of Wealth: A Conversation with Paul G. Schervish
- Acquirers’ and Inheritors’ Dilemma: Discovering Life Purpose and Building Personal Identity in the Presence of Wealth
- Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren by Keynes
Articles for the entire Family in a Family Office
- Top Ten Ways to Ensure Heartache in Your Family
- The Real Reason People Won’t Change by Robert Kegan and Lisa Lahey
- Culture Does Indeed Eat Structure for Breakfast
- The Trustee as Mentor by James E. Hughes
- Are You Facing a Problem? Or a Polarity? – There are a number of articles out about problems vs. polarities (or paradox), this is a massively important dynamic to understand.
Articles on Investment / Capital Allocation within a Family Office
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc – An Owner’s Manual
- The Loser’s Game by Charles Ellis
- How Mr Womack Made a Killing
- Hiring a Portfolio Manager is Like Hiring a Professional Gambler: Mind Your Ps and Qs
- Rendering a Powerful Tool Flaccid – The Misuse of Premortems on Wall Street – A super helpful way to think about mistake avoidance when making investment decisions.