This week’s highlights: Bits of advice, singular hedge fund managers, and an emerging tennis great
Hope your weekend is a pleasant one
Food for Thought
- KK – 103 Bits of Advice I wish I Had Known. 103 bits of wisdom I wish I had known when I was young.
- SFGate – ‘Buy now, pay later’ is sending the TikTok generation spiraling into debt, popularized by San Francisco tech firms
- McKinsey – If we’re all so busy, why isn’t anything getting done? With endless meetings, incessant emails, and casts of thousands, companies have mastered the art of unnecessary interactions. Winning in the next normal requires much more focus on true collaboration.
- WSJ – How Ukrainian Civilians Risked Their Lives to Help Win the Battle for Kyiv. Villagers shared Google map locations of Russian positions with Ukraine’s military, turning a highway into the stage for a major Kremlin defeat
- NYT – For Tens of Millions of Americans, the Good Times Are Right Now. Their houses are piggy banks, their retirement accounts are up and their bosses are eager to please. When the boom ends, everything will change.
Business and Markets
- TEBI – Trading Stocks is Like Playing a Wimbledon Champion
- II – Chris Hohn Is a Hedge Fund Manager Like No Other. The TCI Fund Management founder and 2022 Hedge Fund Lifetime Achievement honoree has differentiated himself through philanthropy, activism — and an enviable track record.
- II – Was the ‘Bond King’ Great? Bill Gross was synonymous with fixed income investing for 40 years — but the question of whether he generated real alpha still hovers over his legacy.
- Bloomberg – How Managing by Moonshot Doomed Zillow’s Home Flipping. CEO Rich Barton loves a BHAG—a big swing, an all-in flywheeling Manhattan Project to the mountaintop of his super app. It’s worked for him, mostly.
- NACUBO – 2021 Study of Endowments. – If you haven’t seen already – some interesting charts in here about how college endowment portfolios are being managed
Science, Technology, and Culture
- NYP – Passenger with ‘no idea how to fly airplane’ lands safely after pilot gets sick
- Uproot – Massive Bourbon Blind Taste Test
- Engadget – How Gen Z is pushing NES Tetris to its limits
- MIT – From seawater to drinking water, with the push of a button
- WSJ – The Next Great Tennis Teenager Is Here. Carlos Alcaraz, 19, buzzes past Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev to win in Madrid. Is this the beginning of a beautiful career?
- Does how you handle your wealth actually align with what you care most about in the world?
- Do you feel like you are pro-active and intentional with your financial affairs or entirely reactive to a busy world?
Growing financial wealth is a natural occurrence on the path to success. While this should make life easier, that is not always the case. With greater wealth, comes great opportunity and an overwhelming number of choices to make.
When Anything is Possible is the guidebook about how to engage strategically with wealth. It will help you change your wealth from something overwhelming and all-consuming towards a resource to be deployed to help you positively impact the things that you value most.
If you are interested in learning more, visit here and download a free chapter.