This week’s highlights: The Rich, Ukrainian Tractors, and Turkish Drones
Hope your weekend is a pleasant one
Food for Thought
- TheAtlantic – How Politics Poisoned The Evangelical Church – So this one hits 2 third rail issues – but it was thought provoking and interesting.
- TexasMonthly – The Bronc-busting, Cow-punching, Death-defying Legend of Boots O’Neal. He’s pushing ninety and still saddling up at the Four Sixes Ranch. Just don’t call him “the last cowboy.”
- NYT – The Rich Are Not Who We Think They Are. And Happiness Is Not What We Think It Is, Either.
- NewYorker – Our Misguided Obsession with Twitter. The social-media platform has become a spectacle driven by a narrow and unrepresentative group of élites.
- WSJ – The Obscure Math Exposing Our Genetic Secrets. ‘CentiMorgans’ measure how much DNA we share with others, often unlocking long-unsolved mysteries
Business and Markets
- MR – Lessons learned from time at Goldman Sachs – A thoughtful Twitter feed about what time on a trading desk and research team teaches. I can personally vouch for many of these hard-won lessons.
- Insider – Big Law partners are getting paid like star athletes, with top earners now making $10 million or more. Call it the Kirkland effect.
- DR – About those kill-switched Ukrainian tractors. What John Deere did to Russian looters, anyone can do to farmers, anywhere.
- Bloomberg – Meet the Hedge-Fund Manager Who Warned of Terra’s $60 Billion Implosion
- II – SPACs Are Sputtering. Desperate New Terms Could Send Them Into a Death Spiral.
Science, Technology, and Culture
- Aeon – Quantum Wittgenstein. Metaphysical debates in quantum physics don’t get at ‘truth’ – they’re nothing but a form of ritual, activity and culture
- NewYorker – The Turkish Drone That Changed the Nature of Warfare The Bayraktar TB2 has brought precision air-strike capabilities to Ukraine and other countries. It’s also a diplomatic tool, enabling Turkey’s rise.
- NYT – Leave the Sweatshirt at Home. Dining Dress Codes Are Back. A number of restaurants are betting that Americans want to get gussied up again, but not everyone is thrilled about the fashion screening.
- LifeHacker – Use the 37% Rule to Make Better Decisions
- PermanentStyle – The Guide to Morning Dress – For any making the trip to Royal Ascot this year.
When Anything is Possible – Wealth and the Art of Strategic Living
- Does how you handle your wealth actually align with what you care most about in the world?
- Do you feel like you are pro-active and intentional with your financial affairs or entirely reactive to a busy world?
Growing financial wealth is a natural occurrence on the path to success. While this should make life easier, that is not always the case. With greater wealth, comes great opportunity and an overwhelming number of choices to make.
When Anything is Possible is the guidebook about how to engage strategically with wealth. It will help you change your wealth from something overwhelming and all-consuming towards a resource to be deployed to help you positively impact the things that you value most.
If you are interested in learning more, visit here and download a free chapter.