This week’s highlights: Masculinity, Car Insurance, and Deep Sea Exploration
by David Wells – Nashville TN
Happy Friday –
It’s been a crazy week on my end – so nothing original to share. Have a great weekend!
Food for Thought
- TheAtlantic – To My Son: Men Have to ‘Allow Ourselves to Be Loved’ – Credit TP – “I spent years hiding under the armor of sarcasm and withdrawal. When you were born, I learned that the secret of manhood is love.”
- Forbes – The Billionaire Who Wanted To Die Broke . . . Is Now Officially Broke Chuck Feeney’s story is an inspiration on so many levels.
- NYT – Who Is Paris Hilton, Really? “The heiress and proto-influencer says that she spent nearly two decades playing a character. Now she’s ready to be herself.” The documentary referenced is here
- Bloomberg – America Needs President Bill Lincoln Fifteen on Friday tries to be apolitical because honestly the rest of life is divisive enough. That said, this piece is thoughtful look at the give/get likely required on both sides of the aisle. “Whatever happens in the election, America must overhaul its government. To do so, it should look to two giants of the 19th century. “
- New Yorker – Jonathan Rothberg’s Race to Invent the Ultimate Rapid At-Home COVID-19 Test The inventor and entrepreneur prophesies a future in which self-testing has become one more morning ritual between brushing our teeth and putting on a pot of coffee.
- II – In Five Hours, Daniel Kamensky Destroyed His Career. Why? The inside story of hedge fund Marble Ridge’s disastrous day.
- AWCS – How Are Institutional Investors Ever Going to Hit Their Return Targets?
- BessemerVenture – The Memos Like the knight’s sword, the firefighter’s hose, and the lumberjack’s ax, venture capitalists courageously wield the memo.
- NYT – A Car Insurance Claim Estimate Before the Tow Truck Is Called Using algorithms, tech companies are helping insurers speed up the process after an accident, make it more accurate and keep estimators out of the field — a plus during a pandemic.
- Moneyness – Starbucks, monetary superpower Pre-paid gift cards remain a cheap sourcing of financing.
Culture / Tech / Science
- ESPN – For a day, the U.S. Open and Winged Foot gave everybody a break. Will it last?
- NYT – A New Ship’s Mission: Let the Deep Sea Be Seen After years of rebuilding, upgrading and outfitting, OceanXplorer, a former oil rig turned research vessel, is ready for its operational debut.
- WashPo – Golf, the official sport of social distance, had its best summer in decades
- NBJ – Start your engines: See where IndyCar will race in Nashville, starting in 2021
- LATimes – My Life without a smartphone