This week’s highlights: Inbox Management, Scaling Special, The Hype Cycle
by David Wells – Nashville TN
Happy Friday –
Fifteen on Friday is back in the saddle after a week off in the beautiful mountains of NC. Some great reads below – enjoy.
For some comedic relief – Youtube – Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self – be sure to watch all three parts, incredibly well done.
Food for Thought
- SuperOrganizers – The CEO of No How to manage your inbox
- NYTimes – The Island Brokers Are Overwhelmed The wealthy want to escape the pandemic to a private, isolated paradise. The people who sell islands have to explain: It’s complicated.
- Marker – The Inside Story of MacKenzie Scott, the Mysterious 60-Billion-Dollar Woman Amazon’s first employee, Jeff Bezos’s ex-wife, and one of the world’s richest women is rewriting the philanthropy playbook
- Time – The Inside Story of How Signal Became the Private Messaging App for an Age of Fear and Distrust
- Twitter – The #NobelPrize committee couldn’t reach Paul Milgrom to share the news that he won, so his fellow winner and neighbor Robert Wilson knocked on his door in the middle of the night – Amazing video from a Ring doorbell
- FAM – How Do You Scale Special? How do service businesses standardize what makes them unique to drive consistency without losing the specialness?
- AndrewWilkinson – The Berkshire Hathaway of The Internet
- UnHerd – The Music Industry Has Been Left to Die
- BI – The 13-point checklist Google uses to find and promote its best leaders
- WSJ – How Airbnb Pulled Back From the Brink – Credit WES – Lessons from the home-sharing giant’s near-death experience: Focus on the core business, keep expenses low and listen to customers
Culture / Tech / Science
- MarkMine – A Quarter Century of Hype – 25 Years of the Gartner Hype Cycle Awesome visualization of the progression of technology
- Quanta – The New Science of Seeing Around Corners Computer vision researchers have uncovered a world of visual signals hiding in our midst, including subtle motions that betray what’s being said and faint images of what’s around a corner.
- Nvidia – Inventing Virtual Meetings of Tomorrow with NVIDIA AI Research
- BusinessWeek – Aviation Outsider Builds Supersonic Jet for Transatlantic Flight Twenty years after the retirement of the Concorde, Boom Technology is developing a passenger plane it’s promising will fly at much faster speeds in a more comfortable setting than today’s carriers.
- FastCo – Car design is about to change forever. This video encapsulates how The car of the future is a skateboard, and whatever you want goes on top.