This week’s highlights: Sting Operations, Quibi, and Derrick Henry
by David Wells – Nashville TN
Happy Friday –
Hope you have a great weekend!
Original Content This Week –
- The First Hire is the Most Critical Family Office Hire Three critical dynamics to consider when selecting the first employee of a family office.
Food for Thought
- RollingStone – How a Fake Rent-a-Hitman Site Became an Accidental Murder-for-Hire Sting Operation You’d think no one would be stupid enough to book a murderer-for-hire on a website called RentAHitman.com. Bob Innes is here to tell you people are a lot dumber than you realize
- NPR – Studies Point To Big Drop In COVID-19 Death Rates
- Forge – The 3 Breaks You Need to Take Every Day An easy strategy for being happier and more productive at work
- TheCorrespondent – Blockchain, the amazing solution for almost nothing
- TheAtlantic – The Mad, Mad World of Niche Sports Among Ivy League–Obsessed Parents Where the desperation of late-stage meritocracy is so strong, you can smell it
- CNN – OxyContin maker to plead guilty to federal criminal charges, pay $8 billion, and will close the company
- Marketwatch – These are the stocks to short when a COVID vaccine is ready, says JPMorgan
- II – Dear IRR: It’s Not You, It’s Me An investor’s defense of a maligned metric.
- LAMag – The Short, Unhappy Life of Quibi Just a few months and upward of a billion dollars since its launch, Jeffrey Katzenberg’s foray into streaming content is kaput. A look back at what went wrong
Culture / Tech / Science
- NYT – Derrick Henry and the Art of the Stiff Arm The stiff arm is a move as old as football, but Henry, the supersize Titans running back, has made it his own.
- The Race – Why F1 is losing a frustrating enigma with Grosjean’s exit Why does the exit of a driver who once crashed on a warm-up lap matter?
- Jalopnik – Piper PA-24-250 Comanche: The Jalopnik Airplane Review. I know very little about single-engine airplanes, but this was an interesting look at their history and at 1 single model.
- NYT – Sacha Baron Cohen: This Time He’s Serious Reviving his Borat character and playing the political activist Abbie Hoffman, the actor feels he “had to ring the alarm bell and say that democracy is in peril this year.”
- TheRinger – The (Mostly) True Story of Vanilla Ice, Hip-Hop, and the American Dream In 1990, there was no star bigger than the man born Robert Van Winkle. But just as quickly as he became the bestselling rapper the world had ever seen, he became a pariah. Now, 30 years after “Ice Ice Baby,” he’s ready to talk about it all—and it may change how you feel about him.