OUr WHyAdvisory Services
A family’s multi-generational time horizon is a unique advantage in investing. An articulated strategy builds the family unity required to utilize it.
Answer Their Toughest Questions
Where Do We Want to Go?
As the family and its business assets grow and change, most families will end up in the wealth management business whether they planned to or not. Whether to build a single-family office or partner with a multi-family office is a complicated question to answer, as is overseeing the management of the family’s assets.
How Do We Get There?
As the family builds its strategic infrastructure, it is difficult to find advisors with the requisite background and expertise to build the family office cost effectively and aligned with the family’s priorities.
Where Do We Go Next?
Too often families when facing strategic change jump immediately to implementation of a possible solution. Our Articulate and Align process helps the family surface goals and a vision for the next chapter of the family’s story.
Help the family understand its holdings and their potential at great depth. Common deliverables:
- Deep dive analysis of the family’s current business / investment holdings
- Competitive bench-marking & valuation analysis
- Assist family in quantifying distribution requirements, return potential and risk appetite
Articulate core priorities and long-term goals for family:
- Listen and understand family’s story and balance sheet
- Articulate and validate family’s ‘why’ for staying invested together
Family begins to align around possible future direction:
- Understand current reality for business, family and markets
- Analyze and develop possible paths forward
How Do We Get There?
Once the family has understood its holdings, articulated a view for the future that the family is aligned around, we can begin to determine how the family achieves its goals. With a clear vision for the future, design and building the next steps is a faster and more cost effective process.
1. Family Office Design
Multi-generational families will need the support of a family office to achieve their goals whether they build their own or partner with another:
- Engagement with family to clarify strategic vision for office, what services should be offered, identify gaps in desired service delivery, and recommend possible solutions
- Design client service model and staffing model. In-source vs. out-source analysis
- Assist family in selection of service partners – including out-sourced chief investment officer, multi-family office and asset class specific managers
- Benchmark and negotiate fee schedules
Taking the design of the family office, we work to build and implement the infrastructure necessary to deliver the services:
- Vet and deploy portfolio reporting systems
- Develop/enhance governance structures
- Support design of investment data architecture and investment reporting
Often an existing family office needs additional resources to develop new services or improving existing ones. We can be deployed as a utility player to support a team. Examples:
- Support and develop education programming around investments
- Assist in development of next generation education and on-boarding programs
- Develop communication programs
Our Family Office Insights:
One of the great challenges families face when allocating capital for the long-term is determining the right level of risk and return. This is exacerbated further by the fact that many believe that the investment strategies of families are roughly analogous to that of the endowment and foundation community.
The primary role of a family office is to help manage the complexity of a family of significant means. Best in class family offices pursue this end by either following a strategy of exceptional coordination or exceptional comprehensiveness.
The magnitude and significance of the change when a family moves from being predominately an operator of a business(es) to an investor in businesses cannot be overstated.
+1 615 270 5750