This week’s highlights: James Madison and Mobs, Timing the Market, Downsides of Early Retirement
Fifteen on Friday – 09/14/18 – Issue 301
Happy Friday Everyone –
Our thoughts are with the FoF readers in the Carolinas – stay safe everyone!
Food for Thought:
- Atlantic – America Is Living James Madison’s Nightmare “The Founders designed a government that would resist mob rule. They didn’t anticipate how strong the mob could become.” Finally – someone recognizing how our current political climate was feared and anticipated by the Founders in The Federalist Papers.
- NYT – Can Good Teaching Be Taught?
- RollingStone – How Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean Theme Bars Are Remaking Nashville’s Broadway – Credit JC – A string of bars and restaurants from male country stars is turning Music City’s honky-tonk district into “country music Disneyland”
- TMI – What information should we consume?
- VF – Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs: A History of Frasier Kelsey Grammer, David Hyde Pierce, Peri Gilpin, Jane Leeves, creators Peter Casey and David Lee, and more recount how a series centered around a snooty radio psychiatrist became one of the most beloved sitcoms in TV history.
- WSJ – You Can Time The Market, Just Not All The Time. I’m sure this is behind the WSJ paywall – but it is well worth reading if you can get your hands on it. “Howard Marks has made a few market calls in his day, but warns that it’s harder than it looks.”
- NYT – Amazon’s Antitrust Antagonist Has a Breakthrough Idea With a single scholarly article, Lina Khan, 29, has reframed decades of monopoly law.
- NewYorker – Paul Singer, Doomsday Investor – Credit DH – The head of Elliott Management has developed a uniquely adversarial, and immensely profitable, way of doing business.
- NYT – As Elkhart, Ind., Goes, So Goes the Nation, and Elkhart Is Nervous
- RealLife – The Constant Consumer. Amazon’s mission is to make customer identity more primary than citizenship.
- FinancialSamurai – The Negatives Of Early Retirement Life Nobody Likes Talking About
- Economist – How a shampoo bottle is saving young lives A doctor in Bangladesh has found a simple way to treat infant pneumonia
- GQ – It’s Time to Kill James Bond
- SBNation – ‘Death Diving’ is belly flopping off a tower, and it’s your new favorite sport
- Forbes – This VC Firm Is Gifting Founders 1% Of Every Invested Dollar To Spend On Coaching And Mental Health