Don’t just stay informed, become more interesting with Fifteen on Friday.
Food for Thought:
- NYTimes – What Kids Wish Their Teachers Knew. When Kyle Schwartz started teaching third grade at Doull Elementary School in Denver, she wanted to get to know her students better. She asked them to finish the sentence “I wish my teacher knew.”
- New Yorker – Why Movies Still Matter
- Economist – The empty crib. Our poll of 19 countries reveals a neglected global scourge: the number of would-be parents who have fewer children than they want—or none at all.
- WSJ – Teresa of Kolkata, From Mother to Saint. After a life dedicated to the destitute, she will be canonized by the pope on Sunday.
- VF – Katherine Johnson, the NASA Mathematician Who Advanced Human Rights with a Slide Rule and Pencil. NASA chief Charles Bolden recalls the historic trajectory of the “human computer” who played a key role in the Apollo 11 moon landing, and as a female African-American in the 1960s, shattered stereotypes in the process.
- WSJ – The 5,000-Year Government Debt Bubble. Should investors buy the most expensive bonds in recorded history?
- RA – Rethinking Conventional Wisdom: Why NOT a Value Bias? Investors with both a long horizon and the courage to stay the course during market downturns, often still fail to harvest the structural excess return offered by value strategies whose robustness is supported by both data and theory.
- Wired – How Apple – and the Rest of Silicon Valley – Avoids the Tax Man. A helpful infographic on the Double Irish and Double Dutch tax tactics.
- Fortune – How a Company That Started in a Closet Landed Ronald Reagan as a Client
- Fortune – Todd Newman – Over-Turned. The Hedge Fund Trader Who Beat the Feds
- Medium – Eleven Reasons To Be Excited About The Future of Technology – Credit Farnam Street –
- NYMag – Why You Should Charge Your Phone When It Hits 50 Percent
- FastCo – What Happened When I Moved My Company To A 5-Hour Workday. A little over a year ago, Tower Paddle Boards started letting employees leave by lunchtime and offering 5% profit-sharing.
- Vox – Kanye deconstructed: The human voice as the ultimate instrument
- NYP – ‘Game-changer’ Alzheimer’s treatment is discovered