Food for Thought:
- Politico – ‘We’re the Only Plane in the Sky’. Where was the president in the eight hours after the Sept. 11 attacks? The strange, harrowing journey of Air Force One, as told by the people who were on board.
- HBR – Noise: How to Overcome the High, Hidden Cost of Inconsistent Decision Making. Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahneman weighs on the hidden costs of unpredictable decisions.
- TheRinger – The Burning Desire for Hot Chicken. – Credit DH – Three days, three Nashville restaurants, and three revelations about why we love what hurts.
- Medium – My White Boss Talked About Race in America and This is What Happened. If you are struggling with how to respond to all of the various race related stories and issues right now, this was thoughtfully put together and thought provoking.
- Eater – The Legend of the Choco Taco. Investigating the tallest tale in the ice cream business.
Recent IRS Business Valuation Proposal Raises Short-Term and Long-Term Estate Considerations. In early August, the IRS issued a proposed rule that effectively ends the practice of “valuation discounting,” effectively boosting valuations for closely held companies by ~66%. This will push many estates outside the $10.9 million current lifetime exemption levels.
- NYTimes – How to Become a C.E.O.? The Quickest Path Is a Winding One. New evidence shows that a mix of skills, especially technology skills, counts more than simply long experience in one specialty.
- BHI – Two Key Checklist Items. “Whenever I find myself getting more attracted to the security than I am to the business, it’s often a good reason to pass”
- Entrepreneur – Why You Should Hire People Toughened by Failure, Not Those Coddled by Success
- Fortune – Meet the Man Trying to Save SeaWorld From Itself. Inside CEO Joel Manby’s fight to rescue the theme park company from the Blackfish controversy.
- Economist – The Omaha play – Credit DH – Buy-out firms are seeking out longer-term investments
- Bleacher Report – “I’m Not the Lone Wolf” – Credit SB – Chasing Ambien with beer to sleep. Forty-pound weight loss. Chest pains. To stay in football, Urban Meyer had to address his mental health. Now, to help America tackle the issue, Ohio State’s head coach opens up in a B/R Mag exclusive.
- Racked – The Fitness Gospel of Billy Blanks. Tae Bo was the ’90s workout of choice for soccer moms and celebrities alike. Twenty years later, its founder is hoping to win over a generation that has never heard of him.
- LifeHacker – The Seven Types of Email and How to Deal With Them
- NYT – Owning a Vineyard: The Days of Wine Are Not All Rosy
- Foxnews – Woman hit, knocked to ground by catfish that fell from the sky