Subscribe To Our Weekly Email
Food for Thought:
- WashPo – America’s ‘quiet catastrophe’: Millions of idle men. After 88 consecutive months of the economic expansion that began in June 2009, a smaller percentage of American males in the prime working years (ages 25 to 54) are working than were working near the end of the Great Depression in 1940, when the unemployment rate was above 14 percent.
- WSJ – Is Bob Dylan Literature? The Nobel committee says ‘Yes’ to Bob Dylan. The Minnesota native is the first musician to win the top literary honor, igniting both applause and a fierce debate.
- NYTimes – The Future of Retirement Communities: Walkable and Urban
- SM – When You Aren’t In The ‘Cool Mom’ Clique. So to all of you other moms who feel like maybe you missed the boat on making it into the “cool mom” clique because you’ve been working, or you just moved to town, or you feel like you just might not care that much — I’m with you. I see you standing over there with your pajamas on and your dirty-faced child and the french fries falling out of your minivan. You’re my people. Let’s go eat some carbs.
- Vox – Venture capitalist Marc Andreessen explains how AI will change the world – Credit Farnam Street
- WSJ – Wells Fargo’s Textbook Case of Botched Crisis Management. CEO John Stumpf was slow to respond to outrage over employee misdeeds, stonewalling senators and irking No. 1 shareholder Warren Buffett.
- Forbes – Clayton Christensen On What He Got Wrong About Disruptive Innovation
- NYR – Panama: The Hidden Trillions. “Previously, we thought that the offshore world was a shadowy, but minor, part of our economic system. What we learned from the Panama Papers is that it is the economic system.”
- CF – The Most Overlooked Trait of Investing Success – Credit SF – “Good advice is worth multiples of what a client pays for it. Mediocre advice is not worth a little less, it’s worth nothing because it won’t be adhered to.”
- Bridgewater – Dalio – Remarks at the 40th Annual Central Banking Seminar. The founder of the largest hedge fund in the world opines on the current state of capital markets.
- BI – Deutsche Bank and Citi use this personality test to find ‘millennial talent’
- Medium – The 20 Habits of Eventual Millionaires
- Quanta – Meet the New Math, Unlike the Old Math. The latest effort to overhaul math and science education offers a fundamental rethinking of the basic structure of knowledge. But will it be given time to work?
- CNN – See how Amazon packages ship with less than :60 in human hands – Credit PR
- GQ – The 7-Minute Total-Body Workout. Stuck in a hotel room with no equipment? This is a helpful (and fast) body weight only workout routine.