“Discard the junk…you are far better off to read a much smaller amount of good material with care and thoughtfulness.”
– Barton Biggs
Food for Thought:
- PS – The End of Gangs. Los Angeles gave America the modern street gang. Groups like the Crips and MS-13 have spread from coast to coast, and even abroad. But on Southern California’s streets they have been vanishing. Has L.A. figured out how to stop the epidemic it set loose on the world?
- Economist – The uses of history. How did a failed treaty between medieval combatants come to be seen as the foundation of liberty in the Anglo-Saxon world?
- GQ – Mainline Street. What does it take for heroin to grab hold in the small, remote towns of America? Consider the case of Laramie, Wyoming.
- Medium – A Teenager’s View on Social Media. Written by an actual teen…if you hold facebook stock, this is a must read.
- Atlantic – First-Generation College-Goers: Unprepared and Behind. Kids who are the first in their families to brave the world of higher education come on campus with little academic know-how and are much more likely than their peers to drop out before graduation
- WSJ – A Year of 15-Minute Daily Doses From the Harvard Classics. Pursuing a liberal education with disciplined attention to Cicero, Swift, Hume and others on the ‘five-foot shelf.’
- Eater – Where to Eat in 2015. – Credit TH- Top 38 restaurants in the US
- WSJ – Investment Firm 3G Capital Eyes Next Targets. With New $5 Billion From Investors, Brazil’s Buyout Kings Start to Shop Around.
- Bloomberg – Love Him or Hate Him, Bill Ackman Now Runs the World’s Top Hedge Fund
- Fortune – Byron Trott: The billionaires’ banker – Credit MH
- Economist – The baseball-card bubble. How a children’s hobby turned into a classic financial mania.
- WSJ – Why Saudis Decided Not to Prop Up Oil. In American Shale Oil, A Perceived Threat to OPEC Market Share.
- WSJ – Startup Founders Leverage Hot Market for Early Paydays. Creators of Secret App Cashed in $6 Million in Early Funding Round.
- Economist – Ancient and modern mariners. The romance of the high seas in an age of quantification
- WJS – Hot Fund Takes Wrong Turn. Asset flows into ‘liquid-alternatives’ have dropped off suddenly
- BI – Everything You Need To Know About Beer, In One Chart
- WSJ – College Football Playoff: How Austria Helped Oregon Get to Pasadena. For Coach Mark Helfrich, a Year Abroad Was a Formative Coaching Experience.
- NYP – Angry divorcée refused this $974M check. Well she refused it and then deposited it.
- WSJ – Sony Made It Easy, but Any of Us Could Get Hacked. A focused, skillful cyber attacker will always get in, warns a security expert.
- NY Times – Ferran Adrià Feeds the Hungry Mind. The Former El Bulli Chef Is Now Serving Up Creative Inquiry.
- Esquire – The Secrets of a Rolex Submariner. See a watchmaker disassemble this famous watch.