“Discard the junk…you are far better off to read a much smaller amount of good material with care and thoughtfulness.”
– Barton Biggs
Food for Thought
- MLK – Letter from a Birmingham Jail. Given this week’s holiday, it was refreshing to reflect back on this timeless letter.
- MMM – On Mortgage Freedom. What would life look like without that monthly mortgage payment?
- NY Times – The True Cost of ‘Daddy, Can I Have a Pony?’
- Governing – Changing a Culture Inside and Out of School – credit DB – Fixing a failing school may require a complete change in culture. That’s not an easy thing to achieve, but Memphis is trying
- Business Week – Men in Blazers: America’s Soccer Stars. How 2 British ex-pats are introducing a love of soccer into the US.
- NYT – What Writers Can Learn From ‘Goodnight Moon’
- NP – Haslam – Time to run harder, together, to gain more ground. TN Gov.’s inauguration speech – a refreshing read from a politician who gets it – in my opinion.
- HK – Why did so many value investors significantly trail the market in 2014? A must read about some of the insanity in the equity market currently driven by ETF’s and other new market participants.
- New Yorker – The Shake Shack Economy – Credit TP
- Zurich Minds – Georges Kern – On Luxury Companies. Given last week’s precipitous drop in the Swiss Franc, this Ted-like talk from Georges Kern of IWC is an interesting reflection on the broader market for luxury goods.
- Inc – The Brains Behind Jägermeister Take Another Shot. Does the world really need another one of these beverages?
- NYT – Microsoft HoloLens: A Sensational Vision of the PC’s Future
- LH – The Word Tailor. A profile of renowned men’s fashion author, Bruce Boyer.
- NYT – At Pitti Uomo in Florence, Tracking the Taste of a New Consumer.
- Hodinkee – An Open Letter To IWC, From John Mayer and An Open Letter To John Mayer, From IWC
- BI – The Best Smart Desk Money Can Buy