“Discard the junk…you are far better off to read a much smaller amount of good material with care and thoughtfulness.”
– Barton Biggs
Food for Thought
- NYTimes – Why You Should Tell Your Children How Much You Make. When Scott Parker wanted his six offspring to know more about the value of money, he decided to do something that many parents would consider radical: show them exactly what he earned. One day, he stopped by his local Wells Fargo branch in Encinitas, Calif., and asked to withdraw his entire monthly salary in cash.
- Economist – An hereditary meritocracy. The children of the rich and powerful are increasingly well suited to earning wealth and power themselves. That’s a problem.
- NYTimes – Revenge Retail Gone Awry? Tory Burch’s Ex-Husband Describes C. Wonder’s Fall
- WSJ – Metadata Can Expose Person’s Identity Even Without Name. New Analytic Formula Identifies People Without Names, Account Numbers.
- NYTimes – In Vino Veritas. In Napa, Deceit. Hill Wine Company, a Criminal Case and Intrigue in Napa Valley.
- WSJ – How Student Debt Harms the Economy. In 2010-13, the percentage of younger people owning part of a new business dropped to 3.6% from 6.1%.
- BusinessWeek – Oil Traders Look for a Bonanza Like 2009
- JCG – Bill Gross – Games People Play
- II – 5 Years After Firing Gundlach, TCW Rebuilds
- CSM – With CEO out, does McDonald’s have any answers?
- WSJ – Former Hedge-Fund Managers Hit the Comeback Trail
- WSJ – Greece’s Last Evasion. Why capitalism is the only real cure for corruption.
- CNBC – Best ways to profit from beaten-down energy stocks
- GQ-UK – The Truth About Dan Bilzerian. Who really is the instagram-lothario?
- QZ – What will we do in a world without SkyMall?
- WSJ – Anthony Bourdain Boosts Xi’an Famous Foods. After an unexpected visit from Anthony Bourdain seven years ago, Jason Wang transformed his father’s mall court eatery in Flushing, Queens, into a citywide food phenomenon.
- Economist – Flight details. A new tool in the quest to understand—and co-opt—nature’s secrets of flying.
- Atlantic – How to Build a Tornado. Could a tornado-machine solves the world’s energy needs
- Engadget – Tiger Woods on how technology improved his signature shoe
- WSJ – Million-Dollar Homes Built on a Factory Floor. Manufacturers of prefab homes in Europe offer spacious floor plans and high-end finishes—nothing cookie cutter about these million-dollar homes.