“Discard the junk…you are far better off to read a much smaller amount of good material with care and thoughtfulness.”
– Barton Biggs
Food for Thought:
- Forbes – 7 Crippling Parenting Behaviors That Keep Children From Growing Into Leaders
- Economist – James Bond’s body language. How to spot a spook.
- New Yorker – The Pursuit of Beauty. Yitang Zhang solves a pure-math mystery.
- BusinessWeek – Boom. No American ATM has been robbed with explosive gas. Since 2013, more than 90 have been in Britain.
- Economist – Incentives matter. Stingier benefits may be behind America’s blistering job growth.
- Slate – The Upper Middle Class Is Ruining America
- Gallup – The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment
- NS – This Middle Finger’s For You, Local Beer Drinkers – What was Bud thinking with their Super Bowl ad?
- Slate – In Defense of “Bad Left Shark”. Katy Perry’s half time show was stolen by one shark costumed back-up dancer who was having some trouble with the choreography.
- TonightShow – Jimmy Fallon Went to Bayside High with “Saved By The Bell” Cast.
- Bloomberg – Chipotle: The Definitive Oral History
- ZH – The Great PE Multiple Expansion Of 2011-2014: Why The Market Must Eventually Crater
- Feld – The Rule of 40% For a Healthy SaaS Company
- GMO – Q4 Letter – Be sure to read Jeremy Grantham’s discussion about the oil markets
- Fortune – Why you shouldn’t invest in the Russian kleptocracy
- WSJ – Laurence Fink’s Optimistic Outlook. The head of BlackRock on cheap oil, China, the downside to living longer and his outlook for 2015.
- Medium – What I learned from raising venture capital
- WSJ – Deflategate Masks the Many Virtues of Belichick. Forget the football-deflation scandal: the Patriots’ head coach is one of the best ever.
- WSJ – The Weirdest Play in Super Bowl History. Interceptions at the 1-Yard Line Just Don’t Happen—Until Sunday.
- WSJ – The Hospital Is No Place for a Heart Attack. A Group of 12 Institutions Is Working to Improve Survival Rates for In-Hospital Attack Patients.
- WSJ – The Car of the Future May Run on Gasoline. For all the talk of electric cars, the old-fashioned internal combustion engine is proving to be hard to beat.
- TheDissolve – The epic uncool of Philip Seymour Hoffman