“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
– Marcus Aurelius
Food for Thought:
- NYTimes – The Creative Apocalypse That Wasn’t. In the digital economy, it was supposed to be impossible to make money by making art. Instead, creative careers are thriving — but in complicated and unexpected ways.
- VF – Tinder and the Dawn of the “Dating Apocalypse”. This is an interesting look at the rise of the dating app, Tinder, and the changing mores of the late millennials – full disclosure, there is some spicy language.
- Economist – Death of a car salesman. No one much likes car dealers. But changing the system will be hard
- NYMag – The Heirs. A three-way, mostly civilized family contest to become the next publisher of the NY Times.
- LR – The Lost Summer. Every year America’s schools shut down for nearly three months—leaving families like single mother Olympia and her 6-year-old daughter Raina struggling to keep up.
- NYTimes – Dinner and Deception. Serving elaborate meals to the super-rich left me feeling empty.
- TI – Tesla’s newest car is so good it broke Consumer Reports’ rating system
- WSJ – Giving College Administrators a Business Education. When state funding at the University of Colorado began drying up, we quickly found cuts that saved millions.
- Forbes – Raise A Glass To The Whiskey
- Rebels At Corsair Distillery
- BI – The cost of succumbing to fear. In light of this week’s volatility, an important reminder about the extreme difficulties of market timing.
- WSJ – Soured Wagers Hurt Highflying Fund. Maybe ‘liquid alternatives’ are not a panacea?
- MF – Sequoia Fund Investor Day Transcript 2015
- Forbes – The Robot Roughnecks: Out Of The Oil Bust Comes A Golden Age Of Drilling Technology
- BB – Brad Katsuyama’s Next Chapter. His once tiny dark pool got a big boost from ‘Flash Boys.’ Now, this unlikely celebrity is out to prove IEX Group has what it takes to become a public stock exchange.
- WSJ – How Serena Williams Produced Her Second Act. As the tennis star chases the Grand Slam, it’s not just about speed and power.
- TA – Signs It’s Time to Clean Out Your Closet
- WSJ – Men in Blazers: Soccer’s Outlier Sportscasters – For BS – The low-tech, witty podcast turned broadcast ‘Men in Blazers’ is pulling in American soccer fans and corporate sponsors—a sign of the rising appreciation of the sport in the U.S.
- Hodinkee – Fantasies Of Being A One Watch Guy, Inspired By A GMT From The Jungle
- BI – They hacked her pancreas and found love along the way
- WSJ – IndyCar Racer Marco Andretti’s Pennsylvania Palace
- Engadget – Scientists create a ‘wormhole’ for magnetic fields