This week’s highlights: Halfinated, Archegos, and Pickup Trucks
I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.
Original Content this Week
I am working on a much longer piece which I did not get quite wrapped up this week – should be out first of next week. So in lieu of that, here are 2 recent podcast interviews I did about my book.
- What To Do When You Have More Money Than You Need – Our conversation was much more focused on wealth and how to think about it
- Passion isn’t enough with CEO of Family Capital Strategy David Wells – This conversation is more wide ranging in nature and discusses wealth, career, purpose and more
Food for Thought
- BOTB – Halfinated and It Feels So Good Kudos to Jennifer Puryear for highlighting the term ‘ halfinated’ – the state of being between vaccine shots 1 and 2. Genius
- Gallup – U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time
- BecMin – 12 Life Skills We Want For Our Children Before They Leave Home
- VanityFair – Anya Taylor-Joy: The Queen’s Gambit Star on Life Before and After a Smash She’s suddenly working with everyone you’ve ever heard of: “I think I’ll probably understand this year in about five years.”
- Ryan Holiday – This Is The Test To Apply To Everything.
- WSJ – Inside Archegos’s Epic Meltdown Banks enjoyed fees they earned from Bill Hwang, a former hedge-fund manager, then were stunned to learn the extent of his debt-fueled stock bets
- Fortune – How Mr. Womack Made a Killing – Amazing article from 1978
- Verdad – Countercyclical Investing – Foundations of A Cycle-Driven Approach to Asset Allocation
- Pitchbook – Tracking a frothy buyouts market A record percentage of US deals priced between 15 times and 19.9 times – that’s not earnings, that’s EBITDA!
- TVG – No Michael Scotts in a Small Business What I have learned over the years is that almost all those folks who say they “want to be their own boss” aren’t really expressing a desire to be an entrepreneur. They are really just saying they don’t like their current boss.
Culture / Tech / Science
- Bloomberg – What Happened to Pickup Trucks? As U.S. drivers buy more full-size and heavy-duty pickups, these vehicles have transformed from no-frills workhorses into angry giants. And pedestrians are paying the price
- Engadget – This is the most detailed picture of a black hole to date
- Rick Beato – What Makes This Song Great? Ep.101 Kelly Clarkson “Since U Been Gone” Rick has the Protools set from the studio recording of the song – amazing to hear how each instrument contributes to the final product.
- Engadget – ILM explains how it used Stagecraft 2.0 for season two of ‘The Mandalorian’
When Anything is Possible – Wealth and the Art of Strategic Living
Wealth is a common byproduct of the pursuit of dreams and success – either yours or a prior generation who shares their success via an inheritance. Yet far too often the first steps we take in managing it are focused on avoiding negative outcomes (unnecessary taxes, estate issues, losses in the stock market), rather than articulating a positive vision of what we actually want to do with our wealth.
The book is about how we shift from focusing on the things we want to avoid, to the things we want to accomplish with our wealth. Doing so requires a person to articulate 3 key items – Wealth Structure, Wealth Identity and ultimately a Wealth Strategy. The book walks through each of these items in great depth, and guides the reader through a process to develop each.
If you are interested in learning more, visit here and download a free chapter. .